In this session, we'll talk about the Groovy dynamic language and its past, present, and future. First, we'll do a quick review of Groovy 1.6 features, such as:
* Multiple assignment and option return in if/else and try/catch blocks
* AST transformations with @Delegate, @Lazy, @Immutable, @Mixin, and friends
* The Grape dependency module
* Metaprogramming enhancements
* JSR 223, JMX, and OSGi support built-in
We'll then dive into Groovy 1.7, especially how to simplify the creation of AST transformations, and discover the upcoming features in Groovy 1.8, for example, how to extend annotations beyond Java EE 5 and potential new features such as structural pattern matching, parser combinators, actors, and more.